OK so I personally believe that first impressions mean nothing. Even though, an amazing first impression never hurt anyone either. It’s always a good feeling when you meet someone for the first time and you both really hit it off. Sometimes if you are at a business party or if you have a corporate job, then, good first impressions can be a life saver. So here are some tips to nail a first impression.
If you are not confident then don’t worry I have got you covered.(https://happiness101blog.wordpress.com/2016/05/19/self-confidence/) This so important, I cannot stress it enough. Even if you don’t feel like you can do it, just fake it. I know it’s easier said than done, but just give yourself a pep talk and be a BOSS. Don’t hold yourself back, speak your mind.
- Hello, nice to meet you, my name is a/n
- How are you doing today, I hope I didn’t keep you waiting.
- Hi ! I hope you don’t think I am a nut, but your shoes/car/watch.. is stunning !
2. BE INVOLVED
Generally we wreck our first impression because we are sooo caught up in ourselves. Focus on them. Listen carefully to what they say, look into their eyes. Eye contact is a long lost art, master it. Try to find some common interests and ask them questions. Everyone loves talking about themselves.
- Your hair looks amazing! Where did you get it done ?
- Do you like coffee/sushi.., because I know this amazing place.
- So where did you vacation this summer ?
- How do you know the host ?
Believe it or not, scent is the strongest trigger for a memory. Smell amazing and you will surely be remembered 😉
Who does not like compliments ? It’s an almost fool proof method to flatter someone. If they compliment you first, accept it gracefully (never deny it) and quickly find something that you genuinely like about them and return the compliment. Also explain why you like it otherwise there is a chance they may think that you are doing it for the sake of it.
- You are very articulate.
- That is a beautiful dress, it reminds me of the sea.
- I admire how you compose yourself.
- You are so disciplined !
- I love your style, its minimal yet classy.
Remember how you were taught to stand when an elder enters the room, knock, say please, pardon.. Don’t ever forget them. In today’s generation people who care about these little details are very scarce. You will instantly gain respect and will be remembered for sure. Don’t feel ashamed, good manners are a sign of civility, knowledge and honour, take pride in them.
- Sir/Ma’am may I come in ? (always use ‘may)’
- You may have this seat.
- I appreciate you agreeing to meet with me.
- I hope your ride was comfortable.
6. LOUD AND CLEAR
By loud I don’t mean scream and by clear I don’t mean slow motion/ over pronunciation. These two are very annoying traits. Make sure you are audible and you don’t mumble or swallow your words. This generally happens when you are scared. If you find yourself in this situation, just breathe and start over.
Faking your personality, is not going to get you anywhere. Never pretend to be someone you are not. You will regret it for sure. Let out your little quirks, people who are worth it will accept you the way you are.
8. THE ENDING
How you end it is very important. Always end it with a compliment and if possible a future reference.
- You are soo much fun.
- I had an amazing time.
- We should meet again.
- Thank you for meeting with me, I will look forward to your call.
BONUS TIPS !
- HUMOR: I know that some of the worst jokes in history come from the mouth of people who are nervous and are trying to be funny. Trust me I have been there.. it’s pretty embarrassing, but the longer you stay quiet the more awkward it’s going to get, so just blow past it. So take a chance if you get it and if it doesn’t work then laugh it off.
eg: (…..awkward silence after the mind numbingly stupid joke..) Well that was not funny, what was I thinking ! (Say it in a cheerful yet confident way.)
- Smile and be happy.
- Dress in a way you feel comfortable.
- Don’t hang onto embarrassment, it happens to everybody. Just be a sport and laugh at yourself.
Now go and make some killer first impressions.. :*